The National Alliance Webinars: A Monthly Webinar Series
The National Alliance conducts monthly webinars that are hosted by qualified National Faculty Members. The webinars are approximately an hour long and are live, so each speaker will be available to answer questions that you may have during or after the webinar. We invite you to explore current topics of interest in insurance and risk management.
Construction Defects and the ISO CGL: A Matter of Policy Terms, Law, and Facts
June 21, 2016, 12:30 p.m. CDT
Speaker: Gerald T. (Jerry) Hargrove, J.D., CIC, CPIA, FCLA, SCLA, PICS, LICS, CBIA
Agents are often asked by their contractor clients if the Commercial General Liability Policy covers a claim for an alleged or actual construction defect. The answer is – It depends! The CGL coverage form primary areas of concern in getting to the answer are:
- Is there an “occurrence?”
- Is there “property damage” – damage to or loss of use of tangible property during the policy period?
- The guiding principles of applying the “your work” exclusion
- Damage To Property exclusion paragraph j. (5) and (6)
- Understanding the “Damage To Impaired Property of Property Not Physically Injured” exclusion
The specific jurisdictional law and specific facts of the claim compared to the policy terms and conditions determines the answer to the question. If the CGL is triggered for potential coverage, what are the damages paid?
- Damages inclusive of the defective work?
- Only the damage the defective work causes to non-defective work?
- Rip and tear to get to the non-defective work?
- Does the result differ as to an insured general contractor vs. a subcontractor?
Uncertainty: Underwriting Unmanned Aerial Vehicles
July 7, 2016, 12:30 p.m. CDT
Speaker: Richard S. Pitts, J.D
The total commercialization of drones appears to be inevitable. With drone prices falling and commercial uses for drones rising, unmanned aerial systems need the attention of all insurance professionals. This webinar will examine:
- What is a drone?
- What are the possible legal liabilities of drones?
- How will the FAA’s proposed rules and regulations impact insurance considerations?
- What underwriting challenges and questions do producers need to be prepared to answer?
The webinar will also briefly address the current state of coverage for drones under ISO forms both personal and commercial, as well as where the future may lie, discussing the forms options created by ISO in its 2014 filing.
Los Riesgos de Hiperconectividad – “The Internet of Things” – Presented in Spanish
August 9, 2016, 12:30 p.m. CDT
Speaker: Jesus Levy, CRM
En este mundo conectado por el internet, hay muchas cosas que aún no están conectadas unas a las otras. Se imagina un mundo donde, basado en el internet hubieran las siguientes interacciones:
- Su taza de café fría pueda indicarle al microonda cuando comenzar.
- Su reloj de aptitud física pueda monitorear su cuerpo, notificarle de algún posible infarto, notificarle a su médico y familiares, y arreglar una cama en el hospital o la transferencia de emergencia médica.
- Su smartphone pueda contactar un médico y/o su residencia en caso de que usted tenga una emergencia.
Durante este webinar de una hora, usted conocerá sobre:
- El significado de "Internet of Things (IoT) " y como funciona
- El tipo de tecnología que se utilizará y los nuevos riesgos que enfrentaremos
- La metodología CRM que deberá ser utilizada y/o adaptada efectivamente para manejar estos riesgos emergentes
The Risks of Hyperconnectivity - The Internet of Things
August 10, 2016, 12:30 p.m. CDT
Speaker: Jesus Levy, CRM
In this internet-connected world, still many things are not connected to each other. Can you imagine a world where, based on internet interactions:
- Your cold cup of coffee can automatically instruct your microwave to start?
- Your fitness watch can monitor your body, alert you to a possible stroke, notify your doctor and family, and arrange a hospital bed or an emergency medical transfer?
- Your smartphone can automatically contact an emergency doctor and/or home phone number if a sudden impact is detected?
Welcome to the Internet of Things! In this one-hour webinar, you will learn:
- The meaning of the "Internet of Things" (IoT) and how it works
- The kind of technology that will be used and the new risks we will face
- The CRM methodology to be used and/or adapted to successfully deal with these emerging risks
Grasping the Impact of Risk Management in Schools
September 15, 2016, 12:30 p.m. CDT
Speaker: Judith Ann Robinson (Judyann), CSRM
School risk management is more than insurance – its understanding and managing the dynamic nature of risks in schools. Schools have a plethora of risks that range from everyday occurrences such as slips, trips, and falls to bus accidents, policies and procedures, and unemployment claims – and now the “newer” risks of cyber and public health issues. How does your school district identify and mitigate these risksandcontrol losses? Register for this webinar to see how your district fares and if other exposures are being overlooked.
- Define risk management and discuss various elements of the process
- Educate and train staff to raise risk management awareness
- Identify the impact risk management has on the various departments within schools
- Examine the value of a dedicated risk manager and a comprehensive risk management program
- Provide various resources and strategies for execution of a proper risk management program
Cyber Crime – What You Need to Know
October 11, 2016, 12:30 p.m. CDT
Speaker: Chris Christian, CIC, RPLU
This webinar is an up-to-the minute review of the evolving state of cyber crime exposures and coverages. Attendees will learn the basics of identifying insureds' cyber crime challenges and how the market is responding to address them.
Topics that will be covered include:
- What does a cyber crime loss look like?
- How does a Commercial Crime Policy address cyber crime losses?
- Where are the cyber crime gaps in traditional coverages?
- How does a cyber policy address cyber crime losses?
- The three-pronged approach to covering your insured's cyber crime exposures
Affordable Care Act Update
November 1, 2016, 12:30 p.m. CDT
Speaker: Jerry E. Rhinehart, CIC, CLU, ChFC, RHU
This webinar will provide a brief overview of the more important provisions and recent changes concerning the Affordable Care Act (ACA). It will specifically address how this law impacts individuals and employers as it relates to health insurance. During this webinar we will:
- Review the current rules and regulations regarding mandated coverage, taxes, and potential penalties affecting individuals and certain business owners
- Review recent changes to the law
- Explore options and opportunities for employers in the areas of non-traditional health insurance plans, specifically with Self-Funded Health Plans.
Lifestyle Exposures of the High Net Worth Client
December 8, 2016, 12:30 PM CDT
Speaker: Nicole Nouhra
The exposures of high net worth clients differ from other clients in many ways that are apparent. However, considerations such as lifestyle exposures are not so readily apparent. This webinar specifically examines the lifestyle exposures of high net worth clients, and the specialized knowledge that is necessary for identifying, analyzing, and controlling those exposures to ensure the proper protections are in place.
Webinar topics will include:
- What is a lifestyle exposure?
- What questions should clients be asked to effectively identify and analyze those exposures?
- What can be done to control, mitigate, or transfer those risks?