Certified Insurance Counselor (CIC) is an insurance professional designation. The CIC program was started by the National Alliance for Insurance Education & Research in Austin, Texas in 1969 by founder Dr. William T. Hold. Some CIC courses can be used to fulfill state continuing education requirements for licensing as an insurance agent.
The CIC program is for agency owners, producers, agents, CSR’s, brokers, and insurance company personnel.
There are seven CIC programs. Each traditional classroom program is 2 days of coursework (16 hours total), followed by a 2-hour essay exam that is required only if obtaining the designation. The National Alliance also offers all CIC programs in a live instructor-led format in a variety of date and time configurations. See www.scic.com/cic for more information.
- Personal lines institute addresses the insurance needs of individuals, families, and family members, and explains the complexities of state-specific personal lines forms.
- Commercial casualty institute covers Commercial General Liability, Inland Marine, Ocean Marine, Business Auto, Commercial Umbrella/Excess Liability coverages.
- Commercial property institute covers ways to maximize coverage for various types of commercial property accounts.
- Life and health institute provides the basic, essential background knowledge for property and casualty agents to succeed in the life and health insurance market.
- Agency management institute covers the internal operations and factors necessary to run an agency. A case study is used throughout the program for practical application of the theories, methods, and procedures.
- Commercial Multiline covers Commercial Inland Marine Concepts & Coverages, Crime Coverages & Endorsements, Cyber Exposures and Coverages, Employment Practices Liability Insurance, Excess Liability/Commercial Umbrella Coverages
- Insurance Company Operations covers Executive Strategies, Regulation & Compliance, Actuarial Practices & Accounting, Product Development, Agency/Policyholder Services, Underwriting, and Claims
To become a designated CIC, the candidate must complete five courses and pass the examinations within five calendar years. CIC designees make a commitment to update their CIC designations annually.
For additional information on obtaining a Certified Insurance Counselor (CIC) designation visit https://www.scic.com/cic/